How long does it last? One year leading to a 2 year A Level option at sixth form, courses at college, training or the workplace.
Students who take this course:
Level Up provides opportunities for students whose GCSE results need to be improved so that they can qualify for Level 3 courses (A Levels or BTECs) at The New Sixth or elsewhere. It is suitable for students who would like to undertake industry inspired courses in preparation for university, college, training or the workplace. Level Up allows students to learn new subjects, develop self-study skills to grow as independent learners and undertake targeted work experience to prepare themselves for the next step in their careers.
Level Up consists of OPTIONAL and CORE elements allowing the student some choice and flexibility in constructing their study programme. Each student has a personalised timetable.
OPTIONAL: Students will normally select ONE of the BTEC courses below. It is possible, but not necessarily advisable to do both BTEC courses because of workload.
- BTEC Health and Social Care 25% Exam 75% Coursework
- BTEC Public Services 25% Exam 75% Coursework
Each of these qualifications are equivalent to one GCSE grade A*-C and will require students to complete all the required work to secure a L2 qualification. This course may also be taken at Level 1, if this is more appropriate for an individual student.
- Re-take GCSE in English and/or mathematics. This will form part of a student’s curriculum timetable.
- Extended Work Experience. All students are expected to arrange for themselves an extended work experience placement for usually every Wednesday throughout the year. It is advised that a placement be secured before the end of the Summer Holidays if at all possible. Students can use their experiences to add to their CVs, personal statements and as evidence for their chosen courses.
- Food and Cookery 25% Exam 75% Coursework
This is a V Certificate qualification and covers the more practical aspects of cookery. Students will be expected to provide their own ingredients as this is a very ‘hands-on’ course.
- Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (COPE) 100% Coursework
This course is equivalent to grade B at GCSE for study at Level 2 and allows students to opt for an individual package according to their interests. Units are designed to test aptitudes such as Problem Solving, Working With Others and Improving Own Learning. A portfolio of work is forwarded for moderation and there is no examination.
NB: Level Up students do not have study leave and the school year will end by mid-May, or at the latest the end of term 5 should all work be completed.